After Imran Khan starrer Kidnap got released on 1 October, Abhishek Bachchan’s Drona comes on the big screen on 2 October. Goldie Behl directed, Drona stars Abhishek Bachchan and Priyanka Chopra in the lead roles, alongside Kay Kay Menon in villanious role, and Jaya Bachchan in a small but significant role. The Bollywood movie Drona is a tale of a young man who meets his destiny and saves the world from evil power, turning from an ordinary young man to super natural hero.
The movie Drona is set on a fantasy world where evil magical power loses to heavenly power and the world is saved by a great hero who possesses royal power by inheritance. The story seems to be a fable churning out by a grandmother to her grandchildren. However, the fact is that Drona is said to be a coming-of-age fantasy film- meaning the fantasy fable it tells would attract audience of all age.
Abhishek Bachchan plays the super-hero protagonist Aditya/Drona in the movie Drona. Priyanka Chopra portrays the role of Sonia, a descendant of a royal warrior family and the bodyguard of Aditya/Drona, while versatile actor Kay Kay Menon is seen in a villainous role of an evil magician, Riz Raizada, who wants to capture the world and achieve immortality by gaining a precious thing that belongs to the royal family of the Kingdom of Pratapgarh. Only Aditya/Drona comes in his way to become immortal and destroys the world. In the end, Drona and the evil magician, Riz Raizada, confront each other and the fight between evil and good begins. The winner will be known once the movie gets released.
Well, here I am giving some important information about the movie Drona, which you may find useful:
· The movie Drona involves a number of fighting sequesces and it features different kinds of Indian martial arts including Kalaripayat, Chhau, Gatka, and sword fighting.
· Drona was shot in a number of locations including Prague, Bikaner, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, and Namibia.
· Lots of special effects are used in the movie Drona. Though the shooting of the movie was completed last year, special effects and post production works needed nine months to complete the whole project. A big part of the film’s budget was spent on special effects.
· Special effects were designed by David Bush, a special effect specialist who works in European movies. Director Goldie Behl along with the producers hired a number of Indian studios for the special effects used in the movie. The six Indian studios were involved in the making of special effects for the movie Drona. The studios are: Eros’s EyeQube, Prana, Future Works, Red Chillies, Tata Elxsi and Prime Focus Plus.
· The movie is produced by Shrishti Arya and Sunil Lulla, and Eros International will distribute the movie Drona.
· Recently, Abhishek Bachchan has said that Drona is his biggest and best film so far.
· Drona is director Goldie Behl’s second directorial project after his debut movie as a director, Baas Itna Sa Khwaab Hai. Interestingly, Abhishek Bachchan also played the lead role in Goldie Behl’s first movie.
· Abhishek Bachchan and Kay Kay Menon had to learn sword fighting for the movie Drona.
· The two actors learned sword fighting to Richard Ryan, a famous sword master, to whom Aishwarya Rai Bachchan had also learnt sowrd fighting for her English movie Last Legion.
· Abhishek Bachchan and Goldie Behl are the childhood friends and making a film involving sword fighting like Drona was their childhood dream. That means that the movie was planned about two decades ago!
· The movie Drona is inspired by the character of the same name in the epic Mahabharata, and graphic arts and comic books.
· For sporting the flowing air, as it was demanded by the director Goldie Behl, Abhishek Bachchan had to grow his hair and beard.
· Drona features perhaps the most expensive villain of Bollywood. For the Kay Kay Menon’s villanious role of the evil magician, Riz Rizawan, director Goldie Behl said, 22 crore rupees were spent for designing an entire palace to feature as the evil kingdom of Riz Rizawan.
· Director Goldie Behl has already started planning to make a sequel of the movie Drona.
· If Goldie Behl makes a sequel of the movie Drona and ropes in Abhishek Bachchan for the sequel, then Abhishek Bachchan will be one of the very few Bollywood actors to have the experience of working in three sequel movies after Dhoom, Dhoom 2 and Sarkar, Sarkar Raj.
· Priyanka Chopra rescues Abhishek Bachchan from Riz Rizawan in one scene of the movie Drona and this reminds me of a scene from the comedy film Welcome, where actress Katrina Kaif turns rescuer and saves Akshay Kumar from fire.
· Anaita Shroff Adajania designed the costumes of the movie Drona. Anaita Shroff Adajania earlier worked as a costume designer in the movies like Dhoom 2, Being Cyrus.
· Costume of Abhishek Bachchan was inspired by the dresses of typical Indian groom and the costume designer also gave a look of a warrior to Abhishek Bachchan’s outfit.
· Bollywood movie Drona could be Abhishek Bachchan’s first solo hit after the actor’s 2007 hit film Guru.
· For Goldie Behl too, it is an important movie. His debut film did average in the box office, and now his progress as a film director largely depends on the success of the big budget movie Drona. So, the movie is crucial for his career as well.